Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Waimanu Valley

Waimanu Vally hike.  This was the most epic adventure ever.  For any of you that like to hike and have a few days to spare, I would recommend this hike.  I must admit, I am not much of a hiker.  I almost died.  But the in-shape folks whom accompanied me didn't seem to have a problem.  A lot of locals have never even done this.  All in all, although I thought I'd never make it, I did, and it was one of the highlights of my life.


 
The decent into Waimanu Valley



 This is an approximately 8-mile hike.  It's the first mile that kills you (or killed me).  It is a steep, switchback climb up the ridge of Waipio Valley.  After that, there are a series of gulches, that in themselves wouldn't be that bad if you hadn't just climbed straight up a mountain.  After the gulches is the decent into Waimanu Valley.  My legs were shaking and I thought I would slide right down into the valley.  Luckily, I didn't.  It took our group approximately seven hours in, six hours out.  It could've been done faster had I not been there or if we took fewer/shorter breaks.

It was beautiful down there.  We were lucky enough to be graced with the presence of a Hawaiian Monk Seal and her pup.  It was awesome.  We stayed in the Valley for two nights.  On the second day, we hiked to the Waiilikahi Falls.  It was about a 2-hour hike and was well worth it.  I would definitely recommend.

If you are planning to do this hike, please make note of the following.

1. You must purchase a permit from the State of Hawaii, Department of Land and Natural Resources

2. There is no potable water.  You must bring your own water or sanitizing equipment for the stream water.

3. Toilets are composting.

4. Do not disturb or go near the endangered wildlife including the  Hawaiian Monk Seals or Green Turtles.

5. Take out what you brought in.  Please clean up after yourself.

6. No cell phone reception.

7. Totally worth it.

The start of the hike is at Waipio Valley.  If you can get someone to drop you off in the Valley, that will save you time and energy.  If not, you will have to hike down Waipio Valley (steep hike down) and then start your 8-mile trek.  If you have the time and gear for this adventure, DO IT.  You won't regret it.

Waiilikahi Falls upstream of Waimanu Valley


The beach

Our campsite
Composting toilets weren't that bad...
Hawaiian Monk Seal with pup!

No comments:

Post a Comment