Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

MY FAVORITE PLACE.

What could be more appropriate than starting off with my favorite place?  I absolutely love, LOVE the Maku'u Farmer's Market!  It is located near the town of Pahoa off of Highway 130.  Why do I love this place?  Because it has everything! It is less "touristy" than the Hilo Farmer's Market, but you will still be able to find something awesome and authentic to bring home.

I LOVE this farmer's market because I can get a lot of my food for the week for a fraction of the cost.  You can get fruits and vegetables; bread; goat cheese; eggs; plants; clothing; honey; lunch, breakfast, or brunch; coffee; jewelry; art; body care; "pre-owned" items; and souvenir-like knick knacks.  I, personally, buy fruits and vegetables, bread, honey, and sometimes, if I have extra cash, coffee.
Kona medium roast coffee from Divine Hawaiian Coffee & Gifts.  AMAZING.

What should you get from the farmer's market to bring home?  I suggest NO knick nacks.  For the most part, they are imported from China.  If you are on a budget, I would bring home some local honey, local coffee or macadamia nuts, homemade soap, homemade jam or jelly, or locally-made jewelry.  And definitely drink coconut water straight from the coconut (the stand furthest from the main parking area that sells bamboo, banana trees, and slippers)!  If you have extra cash to burn, I would by art by a local artist or Hawaiian coffee (my favorite is the Kona medium roast from Divine Hawaiian Coffee & and Gifts).  Tip: Kona coffee from the grocery store may seem cheaper, but it is most likely a blend, meaning that it is only 10% Kona coffee.  Don't waste your time, but the real (100%) stuff.

But my FAVORITE thing about this farmer's market is the food.  There are probably more than 15 food vendors.  BBQ, Mediteranean food, Mexican food, pizza, Hawaiian food, Samoan food, baked goods, crepes, Thai food, shave ice, smoothies, THIS PLACE HAS EVERYTHING.  I cannot name my favorite because it's all good.  Seriously.  And the best thing about eating here is that there is plenty of seating with free entertainment.

So if you're on the east side of Hawaii on a Sunday, check out the Maku'u Farmer's Market.  You won't regret it.  Sundays 8 AM to 2 PM.  Go early before they get picked over!

No comments:

Post a Comment